Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I am 8 month pregnant mother my ex husband has custody of

Customer Question

I am 8 month pregnant mother my ex husband has custody of our three kids i also have a six year old duaghter who lives with me and her step dad, she is not my exhusbands child,i was odered to pay 700. a month when i was a nurse making good money and being able to pay it now i am a waitress and 18000 back on child support i was odered to go to court in august, i dont have the funds to pay the back due, can tou give me advise on what i can do as for not to have my baby in jail. Im very worried
Thank you very much
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

First off, congratulations on your pregnancy. Second, and more to the point of your question, the authorities are not going to jail you since you are pregnant. Moreover, they will not jail you after you deliver because you will be the baby of a new born.

When you go to court, you need to explain your situation. Explain you no longer have the income you once did. You need to ask the court to amend the child support order based on current income. You then ask for a payment plan so that you can pay down, incrementally, the amount that is owed in back child support.

Make yourself appear to be the person you are...an honest person that has had a rough go at it recently that is trying to make it all right. Ask the court for leniency relative to your situation. Explain that you are working and doing all you can but that you are willing to work towards a payment plan for the child support arrears.

Keep your head up and try not to stress...it is not good for you or your baby.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the rating bar on your end so I will receive credit for my answer.

Thank you and best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions? Thanks

Did you have any additional questions? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks!