How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file contempt charges? I'm in Georgia and my

Customer Question

How do I file contempt charges? I'm in Georgia and my children live in Long Beach, CA. I have a court order for them to be with me in the summer. I purchased plane tickets. She did not put them on the plane. Her reason was because the court states I get them 8 days after school. It was after the 8th days so she didn't send. Then she said the sending parent must come and get them. Of we have went thru this every year she is aware that she is the sending parent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Where was the case heard? Was everything in CA, where they live?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are taking to long I want my money back. I would also like to cancel my subscription.Thank you
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I am researching this for you.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

It takes time and please understand I am not just giving you a pre printed answer

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Do you want to continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please just give me a few more moments. I am here to help. Do not worry

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Since this was ordered in CA, that family could would need to hear the matter. The clerk of court in the family division has the forms for you to fill out and file, which would start the proceedings. You would need to show that there was a valid order, she knew of it and disobeyed it. As such, she should beheld in contempt. The Judge can take action and make her reimburse you for the tickets and other costs, in addition to give you the time which you were entitled to, with the kids. The order controls, so if it stated that you would need to come get them, that would be true unless it was agreed upon that she would put them on the plane alone ( if they were old enough) or travel with them. You shared that she knew she needs to send them, so it is odd that she claims otherwise if the order states this.