How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have overpaid at least $80,000 in child support since

Customer Question

I have overpaid at least $80,000 in child support since 2004. I lived in Illinois and was a local #1 Ironworker up until about 4 years ago. Most people don't understand how this union works, you make $40+ an hour but can work anywhere from(###) ###-####hours a year. Due to the corruption only a select few work all the big overtime hours and guys like me work the fewest. I didn't understand how that worked when I was 20 and started my apprenticeship. Every time my hours fell short or I wasn't working this judge made me out to be some sort of villain. Giving me foul looks even at one point in time acting like my ex wife's lawyer. She was so convinced that I was the bad guy pounding on me year after year teaching me a "lesson". Up until about 8 years of torture when my ex finally showed her true colors and didn't put her beautiful act on for a few seconds. The judges face went blank, and she looked at me like oh god what have I done. This is why we need people in the seat that think with reason and not emotion, maybe "she" wasn't the best choice for the job. Thank God for equal rights, they make sense right? Anyways 4 years ago I moved to Texas and went from making 40 an hour to making 22 an hour. Before I left I took every last dime i had and hired a fancy Lawyer who billed me out at $400 an hour. I should have known something was up when he was too puffed up to simply listen to what I had to say. Well all it turned out that he was good at was swindling me out of my money asked continuances because he didn't do a damn thing. And then when he ran me through around $4000 had the nerve to ask for more 😂. As it turns out I went from paying $800 a month to paying $2000 a month, all the while making only $22 an hour. As a result things have been very hard on me. I've been broken to the point of having nothing and then broken some more. My question is how can I find a Lawyer that can help me out of my situation? Somehow I managed to break through all of that and get a job as a tower crane operator so I can pay. I need a lawyer that has a spine and is not afraid to file motions for fear of possibly losing, one that will produce results.***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, what is it that you want the attorney to do? Modify your current support order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a robot? Did you read the details of my situation? I've been in and out of court over 100 times in 12 years. If I wanted a simple modification I would get the paperwork mailed to me from the state, or file a motion pro se for modification. This is the problem. It's like OK let's find the simplest thing to possibly do and somehow make it seem complicated to the guy who doesn't know.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, or
If you are looking for a new attorney, those are the sites that would provide you not only a good selection, but peer reviewed attorneys to try to assist you in your case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you very much
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.

Related Family Law Questions