Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My mother has recently gone to a nursing home voluntarily.

Customer Question

My mother has recently gone to a nursing home voluntarily. My sister, who is her POA says she is going to court to become mothers legal guardian to keep mom there and to make me adhere to a visiting schedule she has sent me. Mother has dementia . Can she do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If your sister is successful in becoming your mother's sole legal guardian then sadly yes, she can keep you from seeing your mother. However, you can fight your sister on becoming the sole guardian and can file to become a joint guardian.

You may wish to contact an "Elder Law" Attorney. These attorneys specialize in this type of situation and can assess your case for little or no cost. They can then give you an estimated cost to go forward. This link can assist you in finding an Elder Law Attorney:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practice/elder-law

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald