How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Children are with an emotionally neglectful custodial mother

Customer Question

Children are with an emotionally neglectful custodial mother and a new step-father with anger and control issues, making the kids very unhappy. The lack of safety and security they are enduring has affected grades, emotional well being and physical health dramatically.
15 year old son has expressed desire to live with dad with his pleas escalating over the past few months. Mom initially agreed and is now dragging her feet and holding everything hostage for entirely illogical and emotionally stunted reasons despite giving the son her word.
We thought kids were gagged until 18, but recently received a comment it was 12 years of age. Any truth to that at all, or are there any motions we can make to get the 15 year old the help he really truly needs? We reside in Colorado/Denver County with Adams County jurisdiction on the case.
Not an issue of ego or hard feelings between divorced adults, but an honest plea to protect a vulnerable child from proven emotional abuse after being burdened with a callous judge new to his family court bench who was either ignorant or unwilling to address parental alienation issues proven custody hearing a year ago.
Thanks for any help you can give us. This fine young man deserves it!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

(Here is a link to the Colorado handbook on custody/visitation - it should give you a better overview as to what the court should be looking at in making a custody ruling:

If you are dealing with a court that is not properly interpreting the law (such as not taking into consideration the request by an older child - the child cannot dictate a placement decision, but their desires should be considered), your best option is to retain a lawyer to help "educate" the court.

  • You can find local atYou can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bill,Do you have any pro se suggestions beyond this basic information? We were bankrupted by our lawyer last year during the custody case in which the judge did not, in fact, take time to interpret law according to our evidence presented. Having reviewed the Colorado handbook, I can summarily say the CFI and judge ruled strictly in favor of the pro-se mother despite evidence our lawyer presented on multiple statute violations noted within this handbook.For us, the damage has been done and our hands are tied. Our only option financially is pro-se, hence the reason I am on this site with you now. We have no more money left to consult another lawyer.The judge is cantankerous and adopted an acrimonious attitude towards the father's rights. We were told that any attempts to appeal his decisions would be met with punitive actions towards us, so we are anxious and fearful about our next actions. They need to be as informed as possible for our fight for justice to not fall on deaf ears again.Can you at least tell me what our best next steps are in asking for court intervention on the son's behalf? I am not clear which statute to properly cite if we file a motion on his behalf, if we are allowed to do that at all?Thanks
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, I must step away for a while, I am going to "opt out" and allow another expert to follow up with you. Please do not post any further at this time as it will delay the next expert's ability to follow up. If you need any assistance in the meantime, please contact our customer service at: Thank you for using our forum, and I do wish you the best of luck. Bill