How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im legally separated. I agreed to pay wife support. We

Customer Question

Im legally separated. I agreed to pay wife support. We agreed to an amount and I dropped off the forms at Sonoma County family law. I did not include the fee and the forms were returned to my wife. She filed for a fee waive and it was granted. She says she resubmitted the forms but when I call the court there is no record of them being resubmitted. I gave it 2 weeks called back the court and got the same answer. I started making the support payments in April in good faith that the court order for support would go through. Im relluctant to sr
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: stop payments as she is on disability and needs the money to survive. Im in California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we filed the legal separation papers on our own
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We own a house in Washington that is being rented. I moved her back to california and she left me in 3 days. I lived with her and her mom for 2 years and they gave me 800 a month for rent or a house payment. Our renter felll through and I had to make the house payment by myself for 4 months. She had not given me one penny towards our house payment. The loan is in both our names.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience, and I'll be assisting for informational purposes. Just a moment as I prepare my response.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

The court papers should have shown up by now. If they have not, then you need to resubmit them. If she was able to get the filing fee waived, then there must be a case number. You need to call the courthouse and speak to the domestic family law clerk of the court and ask the clerk to research if there is a divorce case under your name or your wife's name. If she cannot find it, then you need to re-file the papers and confirm what office they need to be filed in. Where the papers are not showing up, it appears they never made it to the right place.

Has this answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no you havent answered my question. We have a legal separatioon filed with the court and we have a court case number. I have made 4 payments out of good faith while this goes through. I think she may be lying agout resuvmitting in order to try and stretch out her support. she is on permanant disability and needs the money. I dont have a court order for support. If i stop paying whats agreed upon does she have the opportunity to refile and ask for more? If I keep paying as agreed but not filed am I fulfilling an agreement? Im not sure if i should keep paying until theres a court order or stop