How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance just died he has no children what rights do I have

Customer Question

My fiance just died he has no children what rights do I have as his fiance do I have.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes he did not have a will
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about his passing and understand this tough time. Did he have a will? Was your name on anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did not have a will we shared a home for eight years there were Bill in my name as well as in his name he managed all the bills
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Massachusetts does not recognize any rights for a couple who cohabit without marriage. If one partner dies, there is no right to inherit from the estate. Massachusetts does not allow common law marriage so no matter how long a couple live together, cohabitation won't ever change into a marriage without performing a wedding ceremony. This is why I asked if anything was in writing, such as a contract or you were in his will, since that would give you a legal right to whatever was agreed upon or devised to you. However, sharing the home and bills in your name, would not give you an ownership interest in the home, unless you were on title.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has no life insurance policy but he owns a home do to my college loans my name is ***** ***** our house we were getting married this year
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Can you show and produce anything to support a shared ownership interest in the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need know were to begin I have his family support
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

As I shared above, being engaged without being legally married, would not provide you any rights, under the law, unless there was a contract entered into, by you and him, prior to his passing. As such, his estate will go to his heirs, so if he had children, it would pass to them and/or other family members.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!