How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34100
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My uncle married a woman overseas 4 years ago, she moved to

Customer Question

My uncle married a woman overseas 4 years ago, she moved to the US and moved in with him and after a few months, she moved to another room and now at 8 months, they want a divorce... She wants child support and alimony. She claims that it is mandated in Nevada that she get $600 in alimony and $600 for child support... but that is about all that my uncle brings in each month...
If you marry a woman with a child from a different marriage and now they are divorcing, is the husband responsible for child support?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

As a general rule, a step parent is not liable for continuing support for a step child after the parents divorce unless there was an adoption or some other agreement to provide child support if there was a split (a pre nuptial agreement, for example).

So, the wife can request child support, but it is highly unlikely to be granted for a step child.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.