How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NY. My son (age 16) will be 17 In September. s

Customer Question

I live in NY. My son (age 16) will be 17 In September. His mother has custody of him in AL. He is in NY now for his summer visit and does not want to go back to AL. What can I do?
JA: Custody issues can be tough for everyone involved. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys can certainly help with this, and I'd love to connect you with the one who's the best match.
Customer: I have no money to pay a lawyer. I retired from the Army on the 1st a d am still waiting for my final pay.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. He just asked me about this yesterday.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's all I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

If the mother has legal custody under a court order, then you would have to comply with that, regardless of what your son wants.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't discuss this with the mother and see if she will agree for him to stay a bit longer. Maybe that will be enough time for him to be ready to go back. You can always make an arrangement with her, as long as you do so in writing. But if she doesn't agree, that is when you run into trouble if you don't comply with the court order.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.