Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

If I give a vehicle to my son and s new wife as a gift can s

Customer Question

If I give a vehicle to my son and his new wife as a gift can his baby's mother take it or file a lien for back child support since the vehicle is considered community property in the state of Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

.

Legally yes, a gift wouldn't make the vehicle exempt from any valid judgment for back support and a writ to levy on the vehicle. But they could only seize half the proceeds from any forced sale since son would only own half the vehicle.

.

However, if you make the gift solely to the new wife, then they can't come after it because she has no legal obligation for son's separately incurred debts like child support.

.

.

thanks