How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 17 years can i apply support and can i get

Customer Question

my son is 17 years can i apply for child support and can i get retroactive he never gave me money since my son was born
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son is 17 years the dad never paid nothing can i apply for retroactive child support i was 7 years in jail in mexico can that affect me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.


There is no statute of limitations on filing for child support, so if there has never been a court filing for child support, you can file a petition for child support and seek retroactive child support (if there has been an order issued and he just has not paid, then you file a motion for order to show cause for contempt). So, yes, under CA law, you can file for child support and it would be retroactive since birth against the non-custodial parent.

The time you were in jail and did not have custody of the child would be excluded from your back support award.