How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's my first time doing this. But anyways my girl

Customer Question

It's my first time doing this . But anyways my girl friend she pass away February 23 2015 but we been together 9 years u guys can help me on this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am very sorry to learn of the loss of your girlfriend.

Unfortunately, absent a will or a trust, there is no provision that allows a boyfriend or girlfriend to become a beneficiary to the estate of their partner.

However, if your girlfriend did have a will or a trust, and you are named as either a beneficiary, or a trustee (trust)/executor (will) then you would have rights or obligations that you can enforce in those capacities.

If you believe that you have rights in one of those roles through a will or trust, and those rights are not being enforced (often occurs when family members or other beneficiaries try to force out a named beneficiary) then you can file a claim in probate court.

If there is some other more specific question you have, that may help me narrow down the information you are looking for - as would providing me the state that your girlfriend was living in at the time of her death.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I have some paper work with me
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

This is a "general information" forum, so we can answer your general legal questions about issues you may have or concerns, but we cannot review your paperwork.

If you need an attorney to go through your paperwork and see what exactly you have you may be better served by meeting with a local attorney who can sit down with you and review all of the documentation and help you with that.

But if you know what the documentation is (for example "I have a will from my girlfriend and I don't know how to distribute her estate" - we can answer that question, "you will need to open a probate matter with the local probate court" - we can usually provide you with some links to your state court and some additional information).

But we cannot represent you or give you formal legal advice on this forum.

You can find local probate attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).