How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Both my niece's parents are dead she just graduated gh

Customer Question

Both my niece's parents are dead she just graduated high school and plans to attend a community college can she apply for SSI
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and your niece's.

She was eligible to receive survivor's benefits up until she turned 18 or until she graduated. Now that she's out of high school, if she is at least 18 years old, she would unfortunately only be entitled to benefits if she is disabled and unable to work.

Here are some scholarships for students without parents, which might help. There are some other organizations out there that offer assistance, which she can research to see what aid she might qualify for.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Family Law Questions