How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married 20 years two kids got sick he wanted divorce

Customer Question

I was married 20 years two kids got sick he wanted divorce and I went to a lawyer cause he had one he was a firefighter judge did not like him one time in court 11,000 for me husband talked me into a mediator later found out his brother knew her I was not in my right mind cryed through whole thing mediation knew it now 13 years later my x is terminally ill early retirement I am receiving my portion of pension 50 percent while we were married, I am shocked got married almost year ago and city told me when he dies she gets my portion he used all my money I payed for everything for my houses children he worked 2 days a week I am on disability and need my portion I have a lawyer that said he would try to tell judge I was represented unfair mediator talked about her sister committing suicide under pressure from the signed Qrdo I knew nothing about only told I would be all set for retirement I am from mass I really need this I do not think he will live another year I got 3 payments when he dies she gets his and mine what are my chance of the judge changing anything the was signed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you already hired a local lawyer who will try to modify your QDRO?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can not motify what I signed he said he was going to tell judge I was misrepeeented
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how much longer this will take
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is in maachusstts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I wait any longer tonight for your answer
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, it would be very difficult for any attorney to claim that the former spouse was misrepresented more than 10 years after the documents were signed, since such action would normally have to be brought forward within reasonable time, which is generally no more than 1 year after final divorce documents are signed.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.