How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I cancel my case before the hearing date?

Customer Question

How do I cancel my case before the hearing date?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You'll need to file a motion to dismiss with the court and state in the motion that you no longer wish to pursue your claims/case. Often, if the other party has not responded to the lawsuit, you can file a notice of dismissal (instead of a motion) and get this done quickly. However, if the other party has responded, you'll need a motion.

In any event, you can draft and file your motion and the judge can sign it on the hearing date -- assuming there are no objections by any of the parties.

Related Family Law Questions