How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to change my daughters last name to mine while she is

Customer Question

I want to change my daughters last name to mine while she is still young. Her father has voluntarily terminated her parental rights and has not seen her in over a year. He has never helped me with her or paid child support. We separated when she was 6 months old and are now divorced. He has seen her 2 times since we separated. Do I have grounds to change her last name to my maiden name?
Submitted: 1 year ago via
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes, you can change her name legally to your maiden name. Your situation qualifies.

Here is a link to a site with more info and it tells you what forms you need. This could have been done in the divorce proceeding, but it's too late to do it there now. Either way, this will be fine.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.