How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Change last name vs adoption of child that I took over

Customer Question

Hello my name is Edgar
Legally change last name vs adoption of child that I took over counter DNA test came to find out he is my biologic son
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry, I do not quite understand the question: "Legally change last name vs adoption of child that I took over counter DNA test came to find out he is my biologic son." Can you please provide:

1) A little background, and

2) What you are asking/what you wish to achieve in this situation?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like change last name so I can add him to my medical insurance. So I would like to know if just changing last name forms will do or I need to go thru adoption process since biologic mine but with different last name.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, Edgar. I am sorry to say that simply changing the last name(s) to match does not help. You actually have to be adjudicated via the court as the father of the child, OR, have your name on the birth certificate.
So simply changing one's last name is ***** ***** to be enough, I am afraid.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Related Family Law Questions