How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed divorce papers under duress,husband got them

Customer Question

I signed divorce papers under duress,husband got them online,he doesn't disclose any assets,house (he put in his sons name),vehicles,family furnishings,AND I don't get anything.he is XALLING and texting,ex wife and they are getting back together,AND going on vacation the week of July 27 2016,we still live together,but that's READON for divorce and I have been told when he files papers tomarrow,I have to get out of the house
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes,but I cant afford one,AND I've tried legal aid,probono,etc.and I can't get any help
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The duress was when I refused to sign and told him I wanted alimony and if he wasn't careful adultery would be include,that's when he grab me round neck and shoved into a wall,we've also been married 31 yrs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Did you call the police and report him choking you -- that's aggravated domestic violence -- which is serious stuff. That should be the first thing you do.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for the divorce papers, you're going to have to file a motion with the divorce court to withdraw the papers and claim that they were signed under can do this on your own, but it'd be much easier with the help of a lawyer. If you can't afford an attorney, you should contact your state bar association and ask for help locating a lawyer in your area that provides legal aid or pro bono work.