Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

1 my husband is a drug addict addicted to Rx pain meds.

Customer Question
Since he can't get those...
1 my husband is a drug addict addicted to Rx pain meds. Since he can't get those any more he now is getting the anti-depressant med and is taking those.
#2 back in March after an emergency stay in the hospital for OD on the anti-depressant (it causes damage to the heart) the doctor said no more to that drug. It makes him very sleepy and causes the ammonia levels to rise which makes him not function in every way you can thrink of.
#3 Having been thru 4 rehabs and me thru the Betty Ford Ctr Family program and being told to "let go" - not toe "rescue" our addict:
#4 what do I do? let him keep taking the drugs to the point of finding him dead one day and if I do that will I be charged with manslaughter or neglect?Just since last Thursday at the doctor's we found out he has had several TIAs (strokes) but at the time I didn't know he had gotten more of the anti-depressants. I caught him last nite, after he went to bed in which he could barely make, he got up as was about to take the pills. I took them away and thru them in the garbage. Today I came back from shopping and found he had gone in the garbage and took all the pills out and put them in with some vitamins. I can throw these out as well but come Monday he'll find a way to get some more. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2016
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what recourse do I have", "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Based on the above scenario could I be charged with manslaughter or neglect if I don't take my husband to emergency when he overdoses on drugs?

You could be if you didn't take him or call the police/911

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you that's all I need to know

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer