How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19472
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I relinquish my responsibility as a wife, in other words

Customer Question

Can I relinquish my responsibility as a wife, in other words have my husband become a ward of the state without divorcing him?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes about two years ago but only with regards ***** ***** My husband is on permanent disability - he has so many health issues, severe depression being one of them and cirrhosis another which is currently affecting his ability to manage his day to day life. THis is just the tip of what I have had to deal with the past 5-6 years and I don't know what else to do
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: That since Calif is community property, I would pretty much lose everything since he hasn't worked in the last 5 1/2 years. He is absolutely unable to live by himself. I know if I divorced him he would be dead within a year
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: How much time to you have? It's long and complicated
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you cannot relinquish your responsibility as a wife without a divorce. However,you may consider putting him in a nursing home/assisted living facility or apply for home health care services for him with Medi-Cal, and Medicare if he is 65 and over.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.