How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2185
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is going into labor and she may have come up

Customer Question

My girlfriend is going into labor and she may have come up positive for illegal/unprescribed drugs.. What can i do, or not do/say, to ensure minimal resistance to my girlfriend and i taking the baby home with us, with little to no hassle.. Please Help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that. Any chance it is a false positive? If they refuse to let you take the baby home then you may want to have an attorney on standby who specializes in family law and criminal law. If CPS or police get involved say you will only talk to them with your lawyer present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a possibility of her singing over her custodial rights before the baby is delivered?? any other suggestions? we don't have money or an attorney..
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Courts usually will not terminate parental rights on an unborn child but when the child is born yes she could give you sole custody through a court filing and order.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
There are agencies like adoption agencies and legal aid that can assist.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
In California you also have family law advisors in the courthouse who can also guide you to the correct paperwork that would need to be filed.