How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been with my partner years and we've recently parted.

Customer Question

Hi, my name is Flo. I've been with my partner for 33 years and we've recently parted. We have several homes, joint bank accounts, several properties but mostly in his name. I am retired, he always financially took care of me. I am getting social security but not use to the lifestyle I once had with him. How do I financially secure my future?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Hawaii does not recognize common law marriage
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: I guess because Hawaii does not recognize common law marriage, I will have to work it out with my partner somehow. Just afraid I'll get the short end of the stick. Thank you.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No one came on
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything else. He gave me one of our homes which he pays the mortgage for indefinitely. He tells me if anything happens to him the insurance which I am the beneficiary will pay off the house. What do I need to do to protect myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I suggest that you want it all in writing as an Agreement so that it will be binding. For instance that the house be placed in your name and also he will continue to keep the mortgage in his name and pay the bills on the home. Also that he will continue to maintain the mortgage insurance premium so that if anything happens the home will be paid in full.

Now, you are correct and there is no common law marriage and so if you feel that you are entitled to anything else in assets from a 33 year relationship, you could consider consulting a local attorney to see what your rights are in recouping anything. For instance if you had any joint assets

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to have the deed to house transferred to you and also recorded in the court house where the home is located to make it legal.

Related Family Law Questions