Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I would like to sue my ex wife. We agreed to no child

Customer Question
support. I had the kids...
I would like to sue my ex wife. We agreed to no child support. I had the kids for the first 5 years of our divorce with no help or support from her. Now she has the children and is getting child support from me through the Friend of the Court.
How do I go about sueing for past child support as well as putting up with her physical and mental abuse while being married. I had to have her removed from the home and arrested on one occasion because of her violence.
R/S
Lyle
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to file a counterclaim to her suit for support and in your counterclaim you have to show you had the children for the 5 years and she never paid you support and you would have the right to seek payment for the 5 years where you had physical custody.
If she is using friend of court, you should not be doing this without an attorney if you want a good chance of success in at least getting your 5 years worth of support out of her.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer