How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116728
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to sue my ex wife. We agreed to no child

Customer Question

I would like to sue my ex wife. We agreed to no child support. I had the kids for the first 5 years of our divorce with no help or support from her. Now she has the children and is getting child support from me through the Friend of the Court.
How do I go about sueing for past child support as well as putting up with her physical and mental abuse while being married. I had to have her removed from the home and arrested on one occasion because of her violence.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have to file a counterclaim to her suit for support and in your counterclaim you have to show you had the children for the 5 years and she never paid you support and you would have the right to seek payment for the 5 years where you had physical custody.
If she is using friend of court, you should not be doing this without an attorney if you want a good chance of success in at least getting your 5 years worth of support out of her.