How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorced in 2001 - lake county illinois. We did a self

Customer Question

divorced in 2001 - lake county illinois. We did a self agreed divorce. Nothing in the decree about paying for college for kid or any other costs. i had an allotment started from my military pension started when our divorce was final. been that way for 15 years. son graduated last month. I stopped the allotment because he is done with school and moving on to college. my ex spouse is starting to want me to pay for this, what should i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Was there court ordered child support and if so, was there a termination date?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it was by allotment started. No garnishment nor was child services involved. No end date that I remember on the decree. Very basic form.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

OK; Illinois is one of a few states that will require the payment of child support until a termination order is entered.

That form is here

The court does have the ability to order payment of tuition for college but generally they will only do so if the order was initially entered (ie in the original divorce decree).

They will not order retroactive support, as they only have the authority to make an order retroactive to the date it was filed.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

checking in on the above; thank you for using Just Answer; enjoy the holiday weekend.