How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27269
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A 19yr old girl has located me because her mother claims I'm

Customer Question

A 19yr old girl has located me because her mother claims I'm the father. I did have a relationship with the mother many years ago and when she informed a baby, I requested a DNA to confirm but she split. Now reaching me at 19yr, I paid for a personal DNA which proved she is my daughter and began to be apart of her life. Now her mother asking for child support. Can she apply for Child Support in Florida at this age?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. While Florida does allow retroactive child support, at this time, it is unlikely that a judge would order any type of support. The reason being is that the child is over the age of 18 and there is no obligation to pay support after that time and once the child graduates from high school. In addition, the mother previously denied that you were the father and refused to submit to a DNA test and had no interest in establishing paternity in the past. This is not a situation where you avoided her. She voided you. Finally, this was the child who submitted and wanted to do it, not the mother, so it is unlikely a Judge would step in and order support, for the past 18 years and make you pay it retroactively. Had the mother tried to find you in the past and seek it and establish paternity, that would be a different story. However, in this case, she did not and had no interest in receiving it.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions