How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed papers terminating my parental rights to the

Customer Question

I signed papers terminating my parental rights to the paternal grandmother. The adoption isn't final. Can I change ny mind and if so.what do I need
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If they haven't done the termination of parental rights yet, which is done before the adoption (sometimes only minutes before), then you can file a Renunciation of (INSERt NAME OF PAPERS). You would file it in the court, file an Answer to the original case, and send a copy of all of it to the other parties in the case.

However, I'd strongly suggest you consider hiring a lawyer to draft the papers and represent you since the other side will certainly tell the judge that you signed the papers originally. A good lawyer may be able to keep that paper out of evidence and will make sure that the papers do what you are trying to do.

There is no form for the Renunciation so it will have to be drafted from scratch.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.