Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Would an opposite sex domestic partnership began in

California PRIOR to the 1999...
would an opposite sex domestic partnership began in California PRIOR to the 1999 Enactment of the domestic partnership registry; not registered since that date and informally dissolved back in 2009 in Washington State; STILL be valid in either state ? If so, what process would be necessary to dissolve said partnership - especially if one of the partners has been legally married and divorced during that time frame and the other partner no longer resides in the U.S.?
6/30/2016
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

There would not be any formal relationship here that would require a divorce or other action.You would be free to divide up the personal property.Anything jointly owned again you divide up in some agreeable manner, There is not formal relationship since it was not a registered relationship.No divorce or other formal action would be required either in California or Washington to dissolve .

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Here neither California nor Washington state recognizes common law marriage here and it wasn't a registered partnership so no formal relationship, no need to dissolve it.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer