Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am in State and my child attends the YMCA summer program.

Customer Question
I am in Washington State...
I am in Washington State and my child attends the YMCA summer program. Long story short I got in a nasty spat with their counselors because they suspended my son and they retaliated by calling child services on me and claiming my child was possibly neglected or abused. I need help. My child has never been neglected or abused by me. What recourse do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
6/30/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney here.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

I’ll be typing up your answer if I’m absent for a few minutes.

Your son is still with you correct? Child protective has not been there? If not, they may not take the case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They took the case and have visited once. They talked to two references, nannies that have been with me for a while. They are wanting to do another family visit. I want to know also what recourse I have against the YMCA

Okay, thanks for that. I wasn't sure if you wanted to know how to defend yourself against a child neglect case or the YMCA. Thank you for clarifying.

You have every right to be mad. It seems like they clearly retaliated.

Approximately 29 States carry penalties in their civil child protection laws for any person who willfully or intentionally makes a report of child abuse or neglect that the reporter knows to be false. Washington is one of them. Washington classifies false reporting as a misdemeanor or similar charge.

I'm going to opt out. I am sure there are laws that will punish the YMCA but I'm not able to find them at this time. I'll let another professional handle this question. Best of luck!

Family Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

The relevant law for Washington State is RCW 26.44.060, which provides in relevant part: "A person who, intentionally and in bad faith, knowingly makes a false report of alleged abuse or neglect...shall not be immune from liability."

So, assuming that you have evidence that the YMCA employees reported you in retaliation for your dispute, and the report is determined to be unfounded by Child Protective Services, then you have the right to sue the YMCA for defamation of character, malicious prosecution and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.
Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer