Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex husband had his visitation rights suspended due to some mental health issues and for the safety of my children.

Customer Question
Since the court hearing, he...
My ex husband had his visitation rights suspended due to some mental health issues and for the safety of my children. Since the court hearing, he has been stable. If I let him see the children what happens to the court order? Would it become null and void? If he takes me back to court to have his visitation re-instated without following all the court orders, what happens?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
6/29/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good afternoon. The court order is still in effect and controls. As such, you can not overrule the Judges order and allow him visitation when it has been suspended. In a situation like this, he would need to go back to court and seek to have the order modified. He would likely need to be re-evalauted and show the Judge that the mental health issue have been resolved and he is now stable. If the court is convinced of this, they can reinstate his visitation. You are taking a risk of violating the court order by allowing him to see the children, which you do not want to do.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer