How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34756
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married my spouse in CT in 2014. I would like to now

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** and I married my spouse in CT in 2014. I would like to now divorce my spouse and have been trying to initiate the proceedings for about 8 months now, however my spouse has made it extremely difficult to do so. Specifically, I have his phone number and email and have spoken to him but he has refused to provide me with an address to locate him and he is also currently unemployed and has been for over a year. My spouse is now in Inida (where he is a citizen) and I don't know when he is coming back or if he is ever coming back. He will not tell me. What are my options in initiating a divorce given my current circumstance? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Lets start with some background information; a divorce can either be contested or not contested.

Uncontested; Now the fastest, (and by far the least expensive) way to get a divorce is if you can agree on the terms. If you can agree on "who gets what" there is not a need for attorneys...this will cut the costs to a very small amount (court fees)

Contested; if you can not agree, this is a contested divorce. To proceed you need an attorney or need to act as your own attorney (very bad idea). Here the parties present evidence to the court on "who gets what" and the court decides. This takes longer and involves attorney fees for both sides.

Here...if your spouse is not going to cooperate, you first need to hire a lawyer.

The lawyer CAN secure a divorce for you.

I suspect it may be costly (particularly if he is in a foreign country...the service of process will be a bit more complex)...but you can obtain this.

Make sure the lawyer you hire has experience in service of process for persons in a foreign country.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.