How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served divorce papers and i found mistakes in the

Customer Question

i was served divorce papers and i found mistakes in the spelling of my last name on the summons and the incorrect amount of time of length of marriage on the petition. Do I respond to this or wait for the amended version? I live in California
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney here.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

In California, as in other states, you must file a Response to an action for dissolution (divorce) within 30 days or risk being in default. If the other party takes your default, you may not be allowed to file documents or attend hearings in your case, and you could lose the chance to defend your action. The other party may be granted what they're asking for, so don't take that chance.

File a response, and you can deny the length of the marriage and the spelling, and note the correct version in your response. They are allowed to serve an amended petition one time without permission from the court.

These are mistakes, no doubt, but not of the severity that would make this subject to dismissal. Make sure you file your response. Then make sure to respond to the amended version at that time you are served, 30 days to respond again.

If you are doing this by yourself, consider getting an attorney unless you think you will be able to resovle this matter with your spouse in an amicable fashion.

If you would like, I can send you a list of family lawyers in your area. I cannot recommend any specific attorneys to you but I can send you a list and explain what to look for on the list. This way, you'll know not to pick an attorney who has a red mark of misconduct next to his or her name. If you are interested, please let me know what town or city you are near, generally a larger town or city, so that there will be enough family lawyers to choose from. This is at no extra charge to you. I do this for people who ask me questions so that I can point customers in the right direction.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Does this help you and answer your question?

I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

We are not employees of this site, so it's important for us to be rated to get credit for the time we spend here and so we can be paid.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.


Related Family Law Questions