How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11768
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost everything except my house in my property settlement.

Customer Question

I lost everything except my house in my property settlement. I want to retire in February but I won't have enough SS since most of my life while I was married I didn't work. Now I want to know if I can get my ex to pay me half the value of my house so I will be able to retire and take care of my 91 year old dad.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Do I need to set up an appointment to come talk with one.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes but not about this. My ex sent me legal papers about a month ago telling me I have to take my name off the title
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: I showed her my property settlement papers and she didn't understand the terminology his lawyer used. She said don't sign if you don't want to.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: During the property settlement the judges right hand lady told me that anything that had both our names on it stayed that way. But I need financial help since he cheated me out of everything and he put in the property settlement papers, that I can't come back on him for any of it. And he put his 401k plan in that too so now I can't even get that for financial help.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

How long were you married for?