How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9908
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I got a divorce in March and in the paperwork, it

Customer Question

My ex and I got a divorce in March and in the paperwork, it states that he is to pay 725.00 every month, first month he paid the amount. But, in this month he still owes 450.00 and he has not contact me through, email, text or phone. The paperwork also says that every other Friday through Sunday he is to have the girls. Which since the divorce he has not seen them once, nor made an effort. I have to take the next step to make these things to happen, but don't know how to go about it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Is the monthly support child support or spousal?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Also is this via a court order or a settlement agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is child support and it is divorce papers that were summit through the court
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you;

So there is a process called "contempt" - basically that involves a knowing and willful violation of a court order; the court order can order the person to comply with the court order, and if they fail, then the court can do the following, called sanctions: fine the party daily, award the other party attorney fees and costs, order jail time until the party complies.

From a visitation perspective, the court won't force an unwilling parent to spend time with their child; but the court can modify the visitation order (or terminate it) if a parent consistently fails to exercise visitation (the idea being that the endless waiting is emotionally damaging and very hurtful to the child).

If the visitation is modified or terminated, that can actually result in an increase of child support (if, for example, it causes the case to change from joint custody to primary physical custody).

One moment please.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

This department will assist in enforcing child support orders:

The state can do the following for nonpayment:

garnish wages

put a lien on property

intercept tax refunds

not renew a passport.

Here are forms for the contempt process

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

checking in on the above; thank you for using Just Answer!