How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a order support .00 a month and temp custody order is

Customer Question

i have a order for child support for 300.00 a month and temp custody order is shared. we r coming up with a child stipulation. were i get full custody of my 10 and he gets full custody of the other. he wants me to terminate child support to pay voluntary support. in the child stipualtion he wants to put it in there saying i terminate and then have a writing agreement for support.
if i do terminate child supprt will i lose my benafits for the state. i get medical and foodstamps from welfare and my daugther gets SSI. also pcap for electrica. will i lose them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you terminate child support, the state will go after the father directly. You'll be required to help the state collect child support from the father, or they'll take 25% of your monthly benefits. The state would then take the money they collect from the father and give it back to you. That means it doesn't help you or the father for you to terminate support in this situation, and it increases the burden on state employees/the taxpayers. There's no reason to agree to what he's suggesting until your income increases enough that you don't need public assistance. It just complicates things for you and means you have to wait longer to get your money. A person receiving public assistance can't waive child support.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the child support just started this month. and i do not get cash help.

they child support agreement is going to be in an agree done between our lawyers. all these years he give my money for support and had to write letters or show check that he gives to me.

right now i feel that 300 is not worth her. which i mean if i go to the judge for custody he will have everyother weedend and she has to spend the night. she has no room there and plus thid guy 19 years old lives there.

i have seen things and heard things about this guy that i dont trust. father is not there most of the time or not paying attaction.

she is ten but has been in woman hood for 4 months now. (monthly)

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Even if your lawyers sign an agreement to waive support, the state will still go after him to pay it. You're paying the lawyers for nothing if they write that agreement. If you refuse to assist the state in collecting support from him, they will take 25% of your benefits. Again, there is no benefit to anyone in you agreeing to terminate support while receiving assistance.

Custody is a separate issue. You can argue to the judge why your daughter should not spend every other weekend at her father's house when she does not have a bedroom and a stranger lives there with him.