How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had my great niece living with me since she was 7

Customer Question

I have had my great niece living with me since she was 7 weeks old. Her mother and father went to prison in Oklahoma so I have been taking care of her. Her mother has been out of prison since April 1, 2015. She does not keep in contact with her daughter. She did come to see her in November of 2015 for 2 days and slept those days. She has not been in touch with her since and I can't get ahold of her. I found her as an Escort on the internet. I still can't get ahold of her. It is a long story. The bot***** *****ne is I would like to get legal custody of my great niece as she will be turning 4 in October and I will need to prove legal custody when she is ready to sign up for school. Her father is still incarcerated. At present I've only had a temproary guardianship paper from her. mother that is notorized. Her mother is on parole for 9 years. Please help me as to what I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


I am sorry to hear about this. If you are unable to afford an attorney to do this, they you should contact the clerk;s office at the family court in the county where you are living now. The clerk's office will assist you to complete the guardianship paperwork and custody paperwork and they will notify the mother at her last know address that there is an upcoming hearing on the matter. All parties then appear and the judge will award the child to the role model who will give the child the most stable home and school years etc. If the mother every decides that she truly wants custody back, she will have to show the court that she is clean and sober and has a separate apartment that she can take care of her child by. Trust me when I tell you that this type of thing does not happen very often and so I do not think you will have any problems becoming the guardian of this child and have custody so that you can treat her as family, get her into school and give her a loving and healthy home. Make sure that you bring the paperwork already signed over to you by the mother when you go to court to seek this more permanent custody and guardianship and I think that you will be absolutely fine. At the most, the mother will get some visitation rights and that is all .


I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above these boxes in the star rating section so I will be paid for my time assisting you and doing this research for you tonight. Pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star is a positive rating. Bonuses are always appreciated when the BONUS Box pops up after you press a positive rating. THANK YOU VERY MUCH