How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29787
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and i separated and I moved into MY own place

Customer Question

My boyfriend and i separated and I moved into MY own place but I let him move in because he had no where to stay. We have a car financed together and he currently pays a car that is solely in my name (except insurance). He has become verbally abusive as well as physical (throwing things, pushing me, etc) About 2 months ago he took the furniture that is also financed solely in my name and put it in storage in California (we live in Nevada). About a month ago we made a verbal agreement that if I paid him $3400 to put as a down on a vehicle in his own name and financed tires and a stereo (he was to make the payments) that he would give me back the vehicle that is solely in my name. After his car loan was finalized and the loans for the stereo and tires were processed. I made the payment on the vehicle and the insurance THEN he decided he didn't want to make good on the deal. I want him out of my house NOW.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no maam
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: we initially signed an agreement stating that the vehicle financed in my name was his as long as he makes the payments BUT that was when we were happy and planning to get married and more for the police officer should he get pulled over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is your boyfriend still being abusive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


Thank you. I'm sorry to hear that.

The first step is to call the police and file a report. The law protects you, as long as you're able to provide the landlord with a copy of a police report or order of protection. Once you have that, you can ask the landlord to have the locks changed under Nev. Rev. Stat., Section 118A.345. You have to pay for the new lock, but the landlord is legally prohibited from giving your boyfriend a copy or allowing him access to the property.

Your other option is to give the landlord notice that you'll be moving - what the law says is that you can break the lease by giving notice that you'll be leaving either at the end of the month or within 30 days, whichever is sooner. You'd only be responsible for paying rent until the end of the month, plus any past due amounts. They can't keep your security deposit for breaking the lease in this scenario.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Any agreements that the two of you made regarding property remain binding even when a relationship ends. That means, you can also sue him for the money you paid for the car if he's now stating that he's not going to uphold his end of the agreement. These cases are usually brought in Small Claims Court - check the website for the courthouse in the county where you live. They should have forms, but in Nevada, every county has their own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do a restraining order he will go ballistic, and I would be fearing for my life which is why I haven't done it thus far. Is there any process for having a police office on site for a period of time when it is served.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can ask a police officer to serve it for you, and then forcibly remove him from the premises if he won't leave. And if you're worried that he'll come back, then you can let your landlord know you'll be moving out at the end of this month, as long as you get the order before then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but what if I want possession of the vehicle and not the monies?

Related Family Law Questions