How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if my 16 year old doesn't want to live with s father

Customer Question

What if my 16 year old doesn't want to live with his father anymore? His father and I have been divorced since he was 7 and we have shared custody. So he spends 1 week with me and 1 week with his father. Is he allowed legally to make such a decision and what are his rights?
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

While children do not have independent rights in determining where they would like to live, courts often will take minor's requests into consideration when making custody determinations.

This article here discusses both this exact issue, and provides you with the pertinent CA Family Law Code section: