How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1361
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband says he's filing papers Monday and requesting the

Customer Question

My husband says he's filing papers Monday and requesting the court that I be asked to leave the home, leaving our 6 year old daughter here with him (he's asking for full custody) to avoid 'confrontations'. The only one being confrontational is him - I've had to call the police twice and have a report filled out. Our daughter is scared of him at this point (he was doing it around her). Will the courts order me to leave the home?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I am a family lawyer and an appellate attorney, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks! I work very hard for you to make sure you have a thorough answer.

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

From what you're telling me, it's doubtful that they will. They're not going to want to put your daughter out of the house, and you have two documented police calls for disputes. Can you tell me a little more about those two police calls and why they were there?

Also, I'd need to know why your husband thinks he's able to get custody. Thank you. This will help me answer your question.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what happened, and there isn't enough information here for me to give a detailed explanation because this is very vague, but I can answer it and I'll presume that 1) the police came out twice, 2) there was domestic violence reported, and I do know that 3) your 6 year old is scared of him, and 4) whatever he did, of a domestic violence (DV) nature, he did in the presence of the child. The other thing I don't know is if he's going to serve you for the application but I'm going to presume he is because he told you about it.

I represent children in NY as an Attorney for the Child, like a Guardian ad litem (GAL) in your state. I look at things from all perspectives including and especially the perspective of the child.

If he's submitting papers and serving you, I presume you will be there to argue against him. You need a lawyer right away. Of course he did this on a Friday so you didn't have time to get a lawyer. If you call some lawyers right now you might be able to find someone working late. Let me know where you are right away and I'll send you a list of family lawyers in your area so you can start making phone calls.

You need to argue that there have been DV fights for (how long now?) _____ months/years, that they are in the presence of the child, that the child is afraid of him, and that he expresses no remorse afterwards. If he does express remorse, leave that part out.

Tell the court that you are the one who takes care of the child, you take the child to school, to doctors, to appointments, to the park, etc. and that you're the one raising the child. In that event, the court will hear that you are the primary caretaker.

You have to state this: it's not in the best interests of the child to be with him. He scares her and he intimidates her and me. He's not interested in custody, he just wants to make sure I don't get it and he's controlling.

Tell the judge that you don't start anything and that you are the victim and that --and this is very important -- the child is the victim of your husband's DV behavior. In that event, they will look to put him out of the house, not you.

If there is more you can tell me let me know.

In the meantime, you may have time to call lawyers in your area. I will still be here so let me know what town/city you're near so I can send you a list of lawyers immediately.

Does this answer your question?

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Would you like to have a phone call? I am happy to have a phone call with you if that would help you. Just let me know.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know if you want a phone call or other service, which I'm happy to do. Sometimes it's easier talking on the phone than typing it out.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you, or if there is anymore information that you need. Thanks!


Related Family Law Questions