How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33097
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a son that just turned 18 last May. He also has one

Customer Question

I have a son that just turned 18 last May. He also has one yr of school left and has made the decision to live in Hawaii. His mother does not reside there but her side of the family does. His mother lives in NC. But in accordance with the divorce decree he is suppose to be in NC residing at his mother residence while I am paying child support. My son chose to make this decision without discussiing it with me nor has his mother chose to call me regarding his issue which show that she is not mature enough to talk to me about it since 3 of her older child while residing with her dropped out of high school after the divorce. I need to know what I can do my part since it shows that in more than one occasion she has violated the decree and I am still paying child support when my son is not living with her and this was not a mutual decision.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If your son is no longer living with the mother and she is no longer supporting him then that may be grounds for terminating or modifying support. It is a breach of the support order and a major change in the circumstances.

You would need to file a motion to modify support in the court where the order was issued. If she has violated the decree you may also be entitled to sanctions.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You can do this yourself, but an attorney is recommended. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.