How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17 and pregnant and wants to move around how

Customer Question

My daughter is 17 and pregnant and wants to move around how old does she have to be at the move out on her own
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** Live in Wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That she has been in and out of trouble in and out of school and ran away two times and really just dosnt fellow any rules or want to be here has made life very difficult
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin she will be getting her GED through gateway which is a local community college
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I am a family lawyer and an appellate attorney, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks! I work very hard for you to make sure you have a thorough answer.

Please also understand I am typing my answer to your question – usually a detailed answer – and I’ll be back to you asap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have to repeat questions
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is***** am another expert on the forum, your prior expert opted out.

If I understand your situation correctly, you have a 17 year old daughter who is currently pregnant, she is receiving her GED from the local community college, and she desires to move out of your family home.

You live in the state of Wisconsin.

To start, the age of majority (when a minor becomes an adult and can make all decisions for themselves) in Wisconsin is 18 years of age.

It is possible for a minor to be emancipated in Wisconsin, but the law for this is written extraordinarily narrowly (it does not happen often, and pregnancy alone (or graduating from high school) is not sufficient).

Pregnant teens in Wisconsin remain the responsibility of their parents, and the teens are subject to their parent's restrictions and rules.

(I would also recommend this publication by the Wisconsin State Law Library:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was saying something about 17 and an 1/2 been the same as 18 in wi ? And also that she could marry ?!?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

17.5 is not 18.

Marriage does act as an emancipation of a minor. However, the child must petition the probate court to get a marriage license.

(Your daughter is like many teens, they know a little, but not a lot - so she has bits and pieces of the law, but not all of it. The publication I provided above is actually written for parents of teenagers, and should be helpful (you probably won't need all of it, some of it covers things like driving, etc. but it is a well written publication, and you can find others like it here:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank for that one more thing what if she just leaves again
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Children eloping is a difficult issue. Law enforcement can be of assistance here, especially if they are in a dangerous place.

You can also contact your local Child Protective Services for assistance (if this is a recurring problem and is something that becomes something more than what you as her parents can handle without assistance, CPS can offer help with children (including teens), such help can include counseling (for both the teens, and the parents, support groups, and training to deal with situations - they may not work, but they may give you ideas for what will work in your home (as you know, raising children takes a lot of adaptation and modifications, so having more ideas can be very helpful).

You can also work with her school (I know that she is also working with the community college, but you can try the high school district, they often have counselors, and she should still fall under their authority).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish all of you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.


Related Family Law Questions