How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Follow up family law,on visitor visa in USA and came to know

Customer Question

follow up family law,on visitor visa in USA and came to know of divorce summons sent to india but not receieved yet by me,want to know can i request court to allow temporary alimony or maintenance money as long the case lasts.My husband has not spent single penny on me and forced me to borrow money from my parents,never bought me even health insurance etc i wish he pays something as per law.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, you can file now, asking for alimony, even if you haven't gotten the divorce papers yet. To start, go to the courthouse and make copies of the documents he filed. Most courts charge a small fee to make these copies, so you might want to call first to ask what that is and what forms of payments they'll accept. Once you have the paperwork, you can file an Answer along with a Request for Order seeking temporary maintenance until the case is over. You have 30 days to respond after you're served with the documents, but if you're going to pick them up personally, the 30 days will start when you get to the courthouse. You want to see everything he filed, though, in case he's claiming you've already been served.

You're legally entitled to half of all assets acquired during the marriage, even if you weren't working due to your immigration status. Keep that in mind when reading the papers and replying. This site has more information for you:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i get alimony will it negatively effect my chances for immigration process.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that's not a family law question. I can only tell you how to request support in your divorce. To find out whether alimony affects your tourist visa or immigration status in any way, I have to ask that you rate this question positively, then open a new question in the immigration category. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Related Family Law Questions