How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has an estranged wife who is living with another man.

Customer Question

My son has an estranged wife who is living with another man. She will not send him his birth certificate, his
SS card, his HS diploma nor his HVAC (heating/cooling for air conditioning units) certifications. Is this against the law to withhold a person's identity and livelihood from them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years family law practice experience and I'll be assisting you for informational purposes.

If your son files for divorce, or separation, the court would very likely issue an order that requires her to turn over to your son his important papers. If he does not want to file for divorce etc., then all of the papers you have mentioned can be replaced if he goes to the agency or organization that issued them. If he does not want to do either of those, he can probably call law enforcement to conduct a "keep the peace", and escort him to her home and be there while he asks for his papers. While law enforcement does not have to do this if they want to, I have seen many times that they will assist and strongly urge the person who has the paperwork to turn it over to the owner. They will probably put some pressure on her, and she will likely just turn over the papers. I hope he is able to get the documents he needs.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I have answered your question. Thanks!