How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10059
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I've been living in a year with my child and the

Customer Question

If I've been living in Virginia for almost a year with my child and the father is in Maryland and my address is still a maryland address where should I file for sole custody maryland or virginia?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Under the UCCJEA (the federal Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act), the proper court for a child custody case is the child's home state.

This is determined by the child's residence for the 6 month period preceding the filing of the custody issue.

Residence is determined by where one lives- ie votes, sleeps, works. There is "the toothbrush" test - where the person regularly keeps their personal belongings.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

This explains the process:

Kindly rate positively if no further questions by clicking on 3, 4 of 5 stars

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above; thank you for using JA!

Related Family Law Questions