How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CPS keeps harassing my grand daughter. Someone keeps making

Customer Question

CPS keeps harassing my grand daughter. Someone keeps making anonymous phone calls to report us for abuse, but we have never been found with drugs, the people at the daycare can vouch for us that the baby (2) is loved and well cared for, and they have tested and found no drugs on my granddaughter. She is 18,, has a job, her own apt., and is doing well in everything. She is going back to school when it starts again. I am her grandmother. Her parents are not in her life. Since I am retired, my resources are limited. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately CPS has an obligation to investigate reports of abuse.

The CPS workers will have a case file that will show repeated reports that have found there is no basis for these investigations and the investigations will begin to become less and less invasive to you (assuming that whoever is making them continues to make these baseless reports).

Unfortunately, there is no cause of action that you can make against an individual making these reports (the public policy is to encourage reports to stop child abuse - and is so strong that it allows even baseless reports to be made, inconveniencing those individuals so that officials have a better chance of finding those children who really are being abused).

Document all of your interactions with the CPS workers, be patient with them, and the matter should resolve itself in short time. (These workers have more important things to do than to be a tool for someone else's vindictive behavior).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are taking us to court. They have been harassing us for almost 2 years. Do we have to get a lawyer or can we do this ourselves?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

If you are actually going to court, you will want an attorney.

I'm not sure what exactly the claims or issues are if they are bringing the issue to court, but you are going to want an attorney to defend you.

The reason you want a lawyer is that you need someone to help you organize your defense (including preparing evidence (moving exhibits into evidence is a little bit complicated and ensuring you do it properly is critical), identifying and preparing witnesses to testify on your behalf, and helping you prepare legal defenses to whatever claims are being presented).

I understand that funds are an issue, but this is a "discrete" matter (meaning that it is limited to just this hearing/issue as opposed to a long drawn out litigation matter), so it should be relatively less expensive than other legal matters.

You can do this yourself, but if you do, plan on going to the local law library and doing some research (your local law librarian can direct you to resources to help you prepare for a hearing, and to resources to help you identify the law appropriate to your matter (2 separate things to research)).

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can find local attorneys (looking for either a civil litigation or a family law attorney with experience in CPS issues) using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).