How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In a recent family law bench trial the judge ruled partially

Customer Question

In a recent family law bench trial the judge ruled partially in our favor. The judge has yet to sign the judgment. When is the statutory deadline to file a motion for attorney fees?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There isn't a statutory deadline. The trial court loses jurisdiction over the case at 30 days after he signs the judgment unless there is a motion for new trial filed and then it is extended out to 75 more days.

Normally the judge won't allow attorney's fees if they weren't plead and asked for in the original case but you can file a request for them before he signs the judgment. After that (in accordance with the days set out above) you would have to file a combination of a MOtion for New Trial along with a request for attorney's fees so it is better for you if you file them before the judge signs the judgment and then see if you can get the request set for a hearing before he signs the judgment.