How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118757
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is living in my home. He says he is in the process of

Customer Question

My son is living in my home. He says he is in the process of getting divorced. I have taken care of my grandchild, and also when he came to my home in February. He is now daily visiting his spouse and she has taken the child and is refusing to have her visit me. As a consequence of all this, both the child and I are being deprived of each other, and we have been very close.
The child was adopted by my son (who is really her second cousin). I am the Great Aunt, she was my sister's grandchild, and my sister recently passed away.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

Can you tell me what state this is in please? That makes a huge difference in the law. Thank you.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can't answer this question without knowing which state this is. If you'd like to have a phone call, I can do that too. Please let me know what you want to do. I'm here for you. Thanks.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor opted to leave the question.
Unfortunately, grandparents rights in MO are almost not existent. Under the law, the US Supreme Court has stated that the parents have a fundamental basic civil right to make decisions for their children and that right will not be interfered with by the court unless it is proven by clear and convincing evidence that the parent is unfit. See: Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000)
So, I am afraid that in this instance, you will need to work with your son to convince the mother to allow you to see the child. If your son refuses, I am afraid that you have to honor the wishes of the parents because the law has stated that it is a constitutional right of the parents to make these decisions.