How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1354
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question my bf is a marine vet 2.5 years ago s wife up and

Customer Question

Question my bf is a marine vet 2.5 years ago his wife up and left mn and went back to cali and hid there with children and would let him see them or anything and was hiding them from him even They are still married they got married in vagas and he was stationed in Cali and had his kids there but kept his residency in MN while he was an active marine never changed it the 8 years of being active in other states kept it MN other than drivers license did taxes everything outta MN we filed a divorce in MN had court and now they are saying they might not be able to do it now .how is that possible ? He should be able to divorce her without having to wait for her to do it or move there
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, employment and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you. Are you okay with rating me? I would really appreciate it!

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back asap.

How long has he been living in MN when he came back from duty? Since that time, how long has he lived in MN, and how long has he lived in MN altogether?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how long he's been back from his tour of duty, but this is the law about filing for divorce/dissolution in MN:

You must live in Minnesota for the previous 180 days for the court to have jurisdiction over your dissolution. You are allowed to live in different counties so long as they are all in Minnesota.

So he would have had to have lived there approx 6 months. If he has, then there's no reason why MN should not be able to do the divorce.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Does this answer your question? What the court is saying doesn't make any sense if he has been there for 180 days.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

The only thing I see here is that he had a license elsewhere but that shouldn't affect anything. He should be able to file in MN.

Does he have a lawyer? If he needs a lawyer, I can send you a list of names for lawyers in your area. He should ask for a free consultation so that it won't cost anything but his time.

Does this answer your question? I am more than happy to answer additional questions based on this one if you want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you!

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

We are not employees of this site, so it's important for us to be rated to get credit for the time we spend here and so we can be paid.

I would rather answer additional questions than have you rate me negatively, so I appreciate the chance to do that for you. Thank you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

I would strongly recommend a family lawyer in this case because he's going to have to have them served and they're out of state, which isn't easy. Also, there are too many issues here because this is going to be a long-distance visitation case. My suggestion is that he gets an attorney. Let me know if you want a list of lawyers in your area and an explanation of how to pick one (all part of the free service I provide to my customers).

Thanks in advance for rating me! We cannot be compensated for our time and work with you without a fair rating from you. Thanks!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.


Related Family Law Questions