How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I divorced 17.5 years ago in the state of Oregon. Our

Customer Question

I divorced 17.5 years ago in the state of Oregon. Our daughter turned 18 while still in her senior year of high school, my ex stopped paying child support when she turned 18. The divorce decree stated he would pay until she turns 21 unless she is emancipated. She lives at home and is going to university. He told me I have to fill out paperwork to get anymore support. I can't find any forms to fill out. Do I have to if so will a letter suffice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, a letter won't do it. To make him pay the amount he was ordered to pay and didn't you would have to file a Motion for Contempt and those are more than just filling out a form. You really need to hire a lawyer to help with that although the judge will almost certainly make him pay for your attorney's fees at the end of the case.

You can also consider contacting the Oregon Department of Justice, Child Support Division and asking for their help. Th einformation on how to contact them is at this page:

They can file the Motion for Contempt for you and file to enforce the order. They also don't charge you a fee. However, they don't always take every case and they are usually a lot slower than hiring your own attorney. That slowness is offset by the fact that they don't charge though. Also, they can get access to his pay history, etc. so it's easier for them to show the judge that he was just refusing even though he was working.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Related Family Law Questions