How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10294
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is showing signs of dementia and may need to be

Customer Question

My husband is showing signs of dementia and may need to be committed to a nursing home in the near future as it is gradually getting worse. We live in CT. What would happen to our home which we do not have a mortgage on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

Fortunately the federal and state governments have enacted exemptions to the estate recovery process to exempt certain property when there is a spouse:

I found this very detailed guide of exempt assets which include the primary residence when the other spouse resides in that home:

If one wishes to read the public policy considerations behind the law exempting the marital residence, that information is here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see on the above.

Thanks for using JA!