RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My boyfriend and s ex are currently in the process of

Customer Question

My boyfriend and his ex are currently in the process of finalizing their divorce. It was filed 4 months ago, but it is still pending. According to the parenting plan, he is to have the children from the time school is out until July 31 every year. Is there some child support statute that would support the fact that his child support for those months should be reduced since the children (3) will be with us for more than 30 consecutive days? When I was going through my own divorce, I remember coming across something along those lines, but I can't seem to find anything now. We live in Orange County FL
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to assisting you.

There is no such provision in the statutes. If the parenting plan doesn't call for a temporary abatement of support, then he is obligated to pay as the agreement is written. He can certainly seek to modify the support order, but my professional experience is that a judge won't change it. Keep in mind that child support payments can be used for many things which indirectly or directly relate to the child, such as a roof over their heads, groceries, utilities, insurance or many other things. These expenses (such as a mortgage, utilities, car payment, medical insurance, etc) don't stop simply because the child is not with the mother for part of the summer, and many parents rely on the support to help meet these obligations.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!